You are using an outdated browser. To have the best experience use one of the following browsers:
PERFECTION IN A CUP – A FAMILY HISTORY
QUALITY CRAFTSMANSHIP AND EXPERTISE
The name Schreyögg has been synonymous with coffee enjoyment for 130 years. It is a success story that began in 1890 with the opening of a “Spices and Delicatessen Shop” and culminated decades later in the founding of one of the leading coffee roasting companies in the Alpine region. Then, as now, our success was due to the same strengths: the outstanding expertise in the fine art of roasting and blending, honest craftsmanship and an uncompromising understanding of quality.
In Merano merchant Josef Schreyögg opens a delicatessen with colonial goods and coffee from all over the world. The shop is in what is now the Volksbank building on Kornplatz. Due to the special range of products the people of Merano were soon to speak of the exotic in the heart of the Alps.
Announced with great enthusiasm by the local press on 15 October 1905 the commissioning of the first electric coffee roasting machine. Later the people of Merano would still remember the times when “old” Schreyögg had his roasting house under the ‘Berglauben’ and the smell of freshly roasted coffee wafted through the lanes.
In the price list for 1913/14 “Schreyögg’s special blend” is advertised, “this blend compiled with particular care, which is a specialty of my shop, should satisfy the most delicate palate with respect to taste and flavour”.
On 04 May 1915 Josef Schreyögg dies after a long illness. In the local newspaper Maiser Wochenblatt he is acknowledged as an extremely hard-working, visionary, highly respected and popular businessman. His children took over the two delicatessens in Merano.
After World War II Josef Paul Schreyögg, son of the company’s founder, becomes the sole director of the company and gets the business going again after the interruption.
In the sixties travelling to the traditional spa becomes affordable for the general public, which also has an effect on the demand for food. On the 6th of July 1960 a larger roasting machine is installed in the Berglauben, in order to cope with the increase in the volume of deliveries. From now on 45 kg of coffee can be roasted per batch.
The original – and present – company logo is created according to the design of a famous artist, Franz Lenhart, probably based on a friendship with the company’s owner; at least this can be taken from the comments on the original drawings. Over time the logo is modified several times, but always retains its very own character.
A step into specialisation is made with an exclusive focus on the production of high-quality coffee specialties from now on.
After his father Josef Paul’s death, Peter Schreyögg takes over the family business at the age of 21. Despite the tough competition in the Italian coffee industry, the market share of Coffee Roasting Company Schreyögg is not just maintained, but even increased. The main target group is the local catering and hotel industry, supermarket chains are of no significance at this point in time.
Introduction of the company’s own technical service to provide comprehensive service to customers as a one-stop shop. From now on the closely linked processes of coffee production, machines and the mill are centrally controlled.
New design of the packaging line. The new corporate design extends to all advertising materials, company vehicles and fair trade appearances.
The old ‘Laubenhaus’ can no longer meet the requirements of the business, so that after almost 100 years the company’s place of business is moved to the Passer industrial zone.
Moving into the new company building, opening ceremony on 14 February. The press carries the headline “Schreyögg Moved Out of Old Town”. To do justice to environmental protection, a complex filter system contributes to the reduction of exhaust gases and smoke emissions. Modern machinery is introduced, but the traditional drum roasting method is still applied.
Schreyögg is expanding further, as an exhibitor at the biggest international food trade fair, the ANUGA in Cologne, with its own product line for the export business.
Another bottleneck in Merano results in planning the new building in Parcines – construction work starts on 27 October 2000. “Schreyögg is coming”, as a newspaper of the community reports.
In March 2001 the new building in Rablà is started and completed in record time. The company moves in on 26 November 2001.
On 2 March the official opening ceremony takes place in connection with an open day. More than 1000 guests from Italy and abroad participate in the festivities. Moving from Merano to Parcines also supports quality optimisation and assurance.
Presentation of the new packaging line. Due to the strong export business, particularly in specialist trade, it has become necessary to distinguish the various coffee blends by different colours, so that the end customer can recognize his/her product on the shelf immediately.
To meet market requirements, coffee pods are added to the range of products. A new production machine makes production control possible.
Revision of the packaging line with a focus on the brand and the logo.
Coffee Roasting Company Schreyögg becomes a permanent training centre. The purpose of the “permanent training centres” of the International Institute of Coffee Tasters is to promote and convey the culture of coffee. The courses of the training centre provide expertise and practical training and attract much attention. Latte art courses are particularly popular.
It is out of conviction that the first espresso blend of Coffee Roasting Company Schreyögg from fair trade is created. Organisations such as Fairtrade make a significant contribution to supporting the disadvantaged all over the world in order to strengthen the global balance.
125 years of Coffee Roasting Company Schreyögg, today one of the leading family businesses in South Tyrol and beyond. Coffee Roasting Company Schreyögg convinces with quality and attracts customers with its diversity.